I'm not trying to discredit anyone who feels they need to "heal". I know I was really affected by the things I saw. I am just trying to understand.
I had a chance to go downtown before work the other day and what I saw was astonishing. Despite editing tons of footage post-riot, I had NO idea that EVERY single window of The Bay was smashed.
To give you some perspective, here is a Google street view of what The Bay looks like on a normal day.
And by all the windows, I mean around both of the corners. The Bay takes up that whole block, and they got every window. There are A LOT of windows. I would say over 50 panes at least. All boarded up. However, I'm sure you've heard about the "wall of sorrows" which is almost more overwhelming than the damage itself.
It's amazing to see all this. Some are positive messages, others are sad, others are upset with the people who did this. Then we have the stuff I'm a big fan of, like this.
The morning after the riot, hundreds of people descended on downtown to just clean up. It was so amazing. They didn't have to do that. It wasn't their mess. But this is their home and they wanted to show what we are really like. There was a photographer who made an effort to photograph as many clean up crew as he could. Someone then took those photos and made these posters, along with various riot shots. I love it. I'm all for getting the faces of those who did this out there. We need to know who they are. On the "Except" posters there are words like "SHAME" and other negative things. The "especially" posters have nice things. That Boston fan even has a big heart drawn around him (I agree). You'll notice on the wide shot that some posters of the "Except" people are missing...guilty parties often return to the scene of the crime.
I think what was really confusing to see was the pattern of the destruction. The Bay was completely smashed, but across the street the H&M and Aritzia were untouched. A few shops down the Blenz was damaged and then nothing. Then a block away, the Louis Vuitton was damaged. Every shop on the same block as The Bay had plywood over their doors. However, across from The Bay going north nothing was damaged. Going south towards the Sears store like Starbucks appeared fine, but the Sears was trashed. It's just very random and I'm sure that why it's a mob and not an organized looting spree, but just strange to see in person.
They have started to ID people from footage and pictures (honestly, did these people REALLY think in 2011 we wouldn't find you?) Reportedly, ICBC will be loaning their facial recognition technology to help. So basically, if you have a drivers license, say goodbye to your innocence. There are several shaming website out there. It gets the names of those confirmed to be rioters on the internet and in public so they can be identified in the future (I.E potential employers etc.) I say confirmed because I only follow a site that does their research and doesn't just post photos and ask people to identify them. I don't think that site just accusing people willy nilly and posting personal details like addresses and phone numbers are acceptable. Doing this encourages people to go out and take matters into their own hands and this makes them no better than the rioters. Let these people be arrested, charged, and forever shamed by having their name publicised as a rioter.
Ok. In OTHER news :)
I've signed up for a triathlon!!! It's been on my list of goals for a while now and there is a mini one happening in my neck of the woods in July! I'm pretty nervous but also excited! It's going to be a real test and challenge for me. I'm confident I can complete all the elements...it's doing them one right after the other that makes me nervous!
I didn't forget that it was Monday and I still have favourite things! (despite all the craziness this past week)
The Canucks run this season (WOW guys. Just wow. Congrats • The fact that the 11/12 season is near! ( GO SENS!) • That David FINALLY has Sundays off!!! So happy • That I'm getting calls for summer sports work • Almond milk • Peanut Buster Parfait (I wish they had mini size) • My super smart cuddly dog (she basically sleeps ON me) • Spa services (I don't get these enough) • parents • the weekend • making my own gifts • parties!
I think that's enough from me today :) I know I missed a garden update last week. I'll try to make an excellent one this week
Will summer ever arrive?
No comments:
Post a Comment