Thursday, January 22, 2009

About me!

I'm an Ontario transplant. In 2008, after completing my two different educations (very unrelated subjects), I moved out west in the search of employment. And employment I found! I'm currently an editor for the number 1 rated news channel in British Columbia and I also find some spare time to work for the local NHL hockey team and more recently managing social media for a local business.

I love the being in the outdoors, crafts, running, cycling, and cooking/baking. I have a bit of a green thumb and I adore animals. I'm a Eco-keener, fundraiser-er, volunteer and rapid reader [greater than the 99th percentile of the population ;) ]. I feel like the west coast is possibly heaven on earth and exploring it is what I want to do most.


The beginning
I've been on the computer for too long. I started using it when I was around 2, which is also the time I started to read. I used it mostly for educational games and the like. Starting on computer so early really gets you hooked. So I was on the internet long before most of my school mates even knew what email was. I started my first website (good old Geocities) in 1998 and it was really just a primitive Picasa. Lots and lots of photos. For a time I thought I would study computer science in school, but I don't think I knew what sort of career would come from that...so on a whim I decided to study Criminology.

The middle
Moving to Ottawa for school was easy. I love Ottawa. My first three years there were at Carleton University studying Criminology. However, it was in my final year there that two things happened.

1. I was (finally) diagnosed with ADHD. This is definitely something I had had my whole life, but it took me studying various Psychopharmacology courses to notice something didn't make sense. After a very very long series of test it came back that I was combined type Inattentive-Hyperactive-Compulsive. This was really hard for me to handle. At the time, I was really angry that no one else in my life had noticed and done anything about it. To go 22 years always feeling different and wrong is tough. Once I was diagnosed I was given medication (which I no longer take) and a bunch of accommodations in school so that I could perform better.

2. I realized that I definitely did not choose the right program. In grade 12, I wanted to go into Television Broadcasting. I applied and was accepted at all the schools I applied to. However, in my school, if you were in the Advanced level classes you went to University. College was generally frowned upon. It was what the General level students went to, and they weren't as smart as the Advanced. So after having made my decision I realized that I didn't want to go to school with the "not-smart" people. Of course, now we all know that college and university are completely different and unrelated and smart people go to both. So I ended up staying on for OAC (grade 13) so that I could go to university.

The irony of the situation is that in my last year of university, I decided I wanted to work in TV. So I ended up right back where I started. Two years later I graduated from Algonquin College with a TV degree.

Probably still the middle
That degree led me out west. I knew the job prospects in Ottawa were not good, and I never want to live in Toronto. The Olympics were happening in Vancouver and I wanted to be there. Conveniently, my boyfriend (now husband) was living in Victoria. So, to get accustomed to the west coast, I moved there. It worked out well. I worked for a local TV station while I was there, along with TSN, and in my spare time, Starbucks (-_-). Shortly after getting engaged we decided to move to Vancouver and that is where we remain! We're both in love with our jobs and hope to stay for a very long time.

I've had several blogs over the years. From Diaryland, to LiveJournal, and now here. It's not always pretty, but I'm just sharing what I'm mulling over in my head. Generally, it's easier for me to blog about topics rather than discuss them in person because I have trouble formulating intelligent sentences in person. Blogging lets me slow down and write it out so that I don't sound like Rainman...

So stay tuned and you'll learn a lot more about ME!