I tweeted at the Vancouver Police Department (@vancouverpd) and they were awesome and quick to respond to direct me to where I could find the bylaws with respect to cyclists. If you want to take a look check it out Pg 34. Section 60.
Bylaws that didn't surprise me BUT too many people in the city of Vancouver rarely abide by.
No person shall ride any bicycle upon any sidewalk except where posted by signs.
Yes. I see this OFTEN...and it takes ALL my strength to not clothesline this person while yelling sideWALK! My only small revenge is to not move for them. I shouldn't have to. It IS a sidewalk...there is a perfectly good street for you right there! The only except (for me) is children and the eldery (which is impressive in itself).
No person shall ride a bicycle upon a street while wearing headphones
Why does this have to be made clear? Is this not a given? Do you DRIVE with headphones on so that you can't hear anything going on around you? Does this sound like it is even REMOTELY safe?!
Note the oncoming bus..probably honking its horn..
but no..this guy needs his Jo-Bro in the AM.
OR. ELSE.
The above photo leads into the next bylaw
I like my brain. I think most days it likes me too. We all need our heads. So why anyone would voluntarily submit their head to become mush on asphalt is beyond me. To me, a helmet is like a seatbelt. I can't ride without it. Getting into a bike crash is essentially going to be Rachel Leigh Cook smashing up your house, except replace heroin with "without a helmet."
Seriously. It WILL save your life. I'm not going to throw stats at you...but I'm sure we can all figure out the odds of survival when you crash head first into a concrete pillar without a helmet
Futher to this, bike helmets HAVE an expiry date. 3-5 years is the max. (I've heard both) The styrofoam in the helmet will begin to break down and offer less protection. Additionally, they are ONE time use items. One impact and you need a new one...this includes if you drop it.
Pedestrians like to wander...they like to loggygag and drift in and out of reality...and YOUR bike lane. While a bell probably isn't going to stop the Jeep Grand Cherokee that is cutting you off, it will make Tommy Tourist jump back about 8 feet when he sees he's taking a photo in the middle of the bike path, not the people path. It's just a good idea. GET ONE.
While not a city of Vancouver bylaw, this falls under the BC Motor Vehicle Act
A) A lighted lamp mounted on the front...a white light visible 150m in the direction the bike is pointed
B) A red reflector...
C) A lighted lamp mounted and visible to the the rear displaying a red light.
(Minor editing for fancy talk)
This (along with helmets) is a law that DESPERATELY needs enforcing. I ride at night very often, and MANY times have nearly crashed into Common Sense himself riding along at night with NOTHING. Not a reflector, not a light...not a helmet. I've also been a driver at night that has nearly crashed into Captain Camoflauge blending in with the night. Are these people crime fighters? Do they need the stealthy element of surprise? No. They are just idiots. Lights can be as cheap as 4 dollars, reflector stickers can be free. There is no excuse for wanting to be Invisible Girl at night. You die that way. Morons.
These are things that bother me. A LOT. I know there are crimes, and murders and other really bad things happening that need cops...but I would really like to see more attention to the above...I will personally volunteer to patrol the seawall and ticket all the crazies I see with death wishes. PLEASE! Vancouver is a HUGE bicycling town and with the addition of dedicated bike lanes to encourage cycling there is only going to be more of these anti-safety pundits putting the rest of us at risk. Selfishness isn't a reason for me to be injured.
Sources:
Vancouver Police Department bylaws
Bike Sense BC

I agree with almost everything, but I must admit, I quite like my headphones while biking. It's all about having them at an appropriate volume, in my mind, so that you still have some audio awareness of what's going on around you. After all, drivers are allowed their radios in sound-proofed vehicles.
ReplyDeleteYou sir are breaking the law.
ReplyDeleteNot only is the sound obstructing your hearing..the sound is distracting, and you are putting everyone around you, and yourself, in danger. Bad form Andrew.
Unlike a car radio... how?
ReplyDeleteA car radio doesn't fit directly into your ear and block all sound. Regardless of how loud you are listening to the music, you still have items in your ear, literally blocking the ear canal
ReplyDelete