It's the most wonderful time of the yeeeeear!
The whole season is just rehearsal for the awesomeness that IS playoff hockey. The game is completely different, SOOooo much better. It's fast paced, hard hitting..every game is do or die. It's really exciting to be in a city that has basically all signs pointing to yes to win it this year.
What is NOT so fun is not really being a fan of the team....Ok I use that somewhat incorrectly.
I'm all for the Canucks. I don't recall in my life having anything bad to say about them. But the fact is I'm a Sens fan. Have been for a while now. Puts me in a tad of an awkward position sometimes. Not this year since the Sens signed off in November, but it leaves me conflicted.
I completely hope the Canucks can go all the way. For SURE! But it's sad to watch all the fans running around town cheering and having fun and looking at them and half wishing I could too.
It's a strange feeling.
I know I won't become a Canucks fan (by definition) I will definitely always want them to do well and be happy when things go great. But I have my team, and I'm standing by them....
What's WORSER...(yes worser) is that Montreal is in the playoffs...I grew up a Habs fan...
So my tale of hockey woe grows longer.
George gets me....
So I grew up a Habs fan....you can't just let something like that go...There will always be an allegiance within me...When they play the Sens it's STILL a conflict for me. I have three Habs jerseys including the first one I got in 1994. I used to have a lot more Habs things but it's departed from me as time went on. I have an assortment of t-shirts still...a flag or two, but most of it I've passed on to fans who would get more use out of it.
As for the Canucks, I have a sweater and hat I got as a gift, and a t-shirt I bought before I moved here when I attended a game and wanted a souvenir. However, I just wouldn't feel right running around town with them on. I think it would be unfair to the real fans. I don't consider myself a bandwagoner, I've been here all year! I'm staying away from the wagon altogether. I really want the true fans to enjoy themselves. I know I'd be kind of phoney enjoying...just running around cheering for the sake of not been able to do that since 2007.
Right after the win...
that was a fun day
I've been to the finals...I know how amazing it can be
Truthfully, the Canucks are probably the most fan-centric organization I've ever seen. They are up and down far superior to the Senators. They have so many different ways to interact and encourage fans. The twitter feed alone is full of contests and interactions and other neat things. Blogs, videos, and photos are just a small segment of the extensive website for the Canucks, and their discussion community rivals NO one else's. The Senators discussion board...doesn't have any discussing. Sometimes I'm ashamed of the Senators orgaization for just how poor they are at doing anything. Especially getting a new video board. If they can't handle getting that, there is no way they will be able to master the art of tweetups...
So I'm left with what exactly? Two teams I think highly of are in the first round. Which ever one advances all the way it will still be a conflicting experience. The Sens aren't even IN the playoffs so that makes it different. If they were in there would be no questions.
I'm in the upper left corner.
I wear the shirt I got to work
since I would feel odd wearing it anywhere else.
I look conflicted about something...
And this is just week 1.....
Who are you cheering for?
Canucks photos courtesy Canucks.com





No comments:
Post a Comment