Friday, February 12, 2010

The Olympics are HERE. So sit down, SHUT UP, and cheer!

EDIT - for a less emotional and more coherant post with the same message check out the husband type's post - http://bit.ly/a1ofD2

I am so sick of people who are whining about the Olympics, or hate the Olympics or blah blah blah wha wha wha....it took money away from social programs, tear tear. The bill will be huge, whine whine

NEWSFLASH PEOPLE

You want to know how much money would have got to the DTES if we didn't host the Olympics?

ZERO

Nothing. That money would have gone somewhere else less sketchy. Vancouver (city officials) don't care about those people. They would have spent the money shuffling that area further down Hastings.

I'm not saying this is my opinion, it's fact. I would like nothing more to know how I can help those people not be homeless, dirty, smelly, scary and drug addicted. But since I've had little to no advice on how to do that, I will resume my regularly scheduled programming. Which happens to be the Olympics on CTV.

Having gone to the opening ceremonies rehearsals, I can say that the performance made me so freaking proud to be a Canadian, and so happy that the OLYMPICS are here in my city, and our athletes are going to show the world how good we are.

Just because you were picked last for baseball teams all the time as a kid doesn't mean that interfering with torch bearers is cool. That has to be one of the most exciting days EVER for some people. And because you 'protest' you get away with it? sorry no. into lockup with you. throw away the key for all I care.

You want to protest the Olympics coming here, fine. But leave it back in 2003 when it MATTERED. They are HERE now. Protesting it is only making your country look foolish. So save your energy to protest something useful, sit down, shut up, and cheer for the athletes that have worked their ASSES off to be here today.

Don't spoil it for the rest of us just because you can't ski, or don't understand hockey, or hate curling, or just plain SUCK at sports.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to watch Walter Gretzky carry the torch.


And to all those athletes

Good luck

4 comments:

  1. Though it was crduely worded... (and your bad at sports joke is getting old)

    I agree. I'm not anti-Olympic, and I'm not pro-Olympic. I see valid points on both sides. I don't think people should be told to shut up if they don't agree! Just like I don't think people who want to cheer on should be frowned upon for doing so.

    I think protesting the torch run and all that "direct action" type stuff is foolish! Makes the nation look stupid, and no one takes you seriously...

    Even peaceful protests on the sidewalk is fine! Let's all just get along people. we're not all gonna agree and that's ok!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I was on the bus last week and this crazy looking old guy with a sign sits down next to me. I stared out the window cause he was sketchy looking and I was feeling trapped in the window seat. Several blocks later he asks what I thought about the Olympics, still staring out the window I said "I dunno". He was asking so I assumed that was what his sign was about. Then he starts to tell me he was downtown protesting it today. I didnt respond. It makes me so mad that people are protesting it now. It doesnt make any sense. Guess what? the money has already been spent. What are they going to do now? Tear down all the construction and return the pieces so they can get their money back? Ask all the people that have been working on the Olympics for the last 5 years to give back every dollar they earned from working on the event? I just don't think those things can happen. Its like going to a restaurant eating the entree and asking to return it because it wasnt worth the money. You can't do that! They could have protested years ago! Even in the first year after Van2010 was decided would make more sense then now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh ash. sometimes I feel like you are my opinions twin...you make me feel better for all the wankers who complain and protest...that there are people out there like you that GET IT lol. protesting now is a waste of energy....go protest the next thing you want to complain about..get a head start lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. like today! they BLOCKED the torch route right in front of the war memorial (i think it's a memorial) where Veterans were lined up to see it....they had to re route around it and the veterans missed it

    That just fills me with RAGE. Police aren't allowed to take them down b/c it infringes their rights...what about the rights of the people who came down to see the torch! what about those Veterans!!! AUGH. dude...i AM the anti-anti olympic protester lol

    ReplyDelete