Saturday, February 27, 2010

Olympic Pavilion Review


For those who missed out, or weren't here. Allow me to review the pavilions I visited during the Olympics.

Alberta house:Saw the outside, had an outdoor patio, looked neat...don't know if there was an inside...

Atlantic Canada House:
Lineups were ridiculous...didn't make it inside..David
was around that area for work and he frequently commented on the lines and how difficult it was to move around...

BC Hydro PowerSmart Village:
Will visit during Paralympics

BC pavilion (at Art Gallery):
Also heard of long line ups....I'd been to the clock several times pre-games...I remember being SO excited at the 70 day mark...and here we are...about to be all over...I'll try to get here during the Paralympics also

Bell Ice Cube:
Very cool!!! You get free headphones just for entering and a phot
o with an autographed Sidney Crosby torch. When you walk in there are TV's everywhere and you use the headphones you got to plug in to watch whatever event you want! Also home to those elusive cowbells...impossible to get!

Olympic Line:YAY! so fun! and so quick to get to Granville Island! I wish it was staying...

Canada Line:
Avoided during Olympics...super busy...rode before...will ride again

Canada Pavillion:
Will visit during paralympics

Northern House:
Paralympics

Casa Italia:
Definitely one of the houses I wanted to
go to and didn't make it :( but I did get to try some AMAZING Cheese from there....I was working at Global and the noon show had this 18kg wheel of cheese on the show...sports guy brought some back for everyone. YUM!

CentrePlace Manitoba:
Paralympics

Coca Cola Pavilion:Didn't wait in the INSANE lineup to get it...but this was probably the ONLY interesting part of LiveCity Yaletown....seriously.

Casino Celebration Village:
Didn't make it here.

Four Host First Nations Pavilion:Didn't make it....will go if it's open during paralympics

GE Plaza (Robson Square):I was here SEVERAL times...it's the place to be! Huge skating rink and ziplining! Both of which I will do during the Paralympics :D!!

Germany House:
In Stanely Park...WAY out of the way...didn't make it here

Haida Gwaii house:
didn't make it

Heineken House:
This doesn't need my review...didn't make it b/c it was out in Richmond (vomit) but I think we all know how Holland parties

Swiss house:
boring..didn't go b/c all it was was Swiss food....no showcase or anything...pass.

Aboriginal Village Welcome:

VERY cool....since the opening ceremonies I've taken a newfound interest in First Nations culture...this has a showcase of art as well as an amazing view

Korea House:
didn't make it

Laser Waterworks show:

SOOOO COOOOOL!!!!!!!!! ahhh. fireworks and water and lasers and music...so cool

LiveCity Downtown:
Will go during Paralympics

LiveCity Yaletown:



BORING!!! Like I said...the coke pavilion was the only attraction...the rest was corporate showcases....no pins or anything...super boring...not worth it unless you are going to see a band....and then you have to line up WAY in advance.

O Zone Richmond:
Didn't make it here either...Stupid Richmond...would have liked to go...but..Richmond? really?

Olympic Cauldron:



Visited here a few times...so cool! I got some great photos

Ontario House:
FAIL ON YOU ONTARIO!. shaaaame. SO BORING. the only thing remotely of interest was the brain wave computer controlling showcase...which is creepy. You put on a headset and using your brainwaves you change the colour of Niagara Falls, the CN Tower, or the Parliament buildings.....creepy.... There's No Place Like This? yeah, because no where else SUCKS so bad.

Pride House:
This was near my house...but I'm not loud and proud...so I didn't go.

Park Royal Winter Carnival:
Saw this a couple days before the Olympics...a really sketchy ice rink....and i mean sketchy...but that's about it...soo not worth it

Place de la Francophonie:
EXCELLENT. probably the BEST pavilion of the Olympics. TONS of culture showcases, tons of info booths, lots of handouts, so much info for francophones and wannabes. Loved it.

Quebec House:
WINNER of the WORST pavilion of the Olympics...maybe tied with West House.....Wait in line to walk in and wait in line to buy a $10 beer or random food.... ZERO info on Quebec or Quebec culture....NOTHING of interest to see or do unless you want to wait around for a preformance...but I bet you won't understand what they are singing...for a province that complains so much about not being recognized or having their culture showcased.....WAY TO FAIL...not to mention...there was no roof! So worst place to be on a rainy day.

Royal Canadian Mint Pavilion:
OUUU anywhere that let's you hold the medals rocks....line ups of course so I missed this one...but so cool...wish I could have gone

Saskatchewan Pavilion:



Ties with Place de la Francophonie for Best Pavilion. Has food and beer AND a showcase of Sask culture...and you get your photo in front of a green screen with any Sask. background of your choice! and I got a pen! very win.

Scandinavia house:
In Burnaby? didn't go

Sochi House:



Winner of biggest build up and biggest let down. Everyone wanted to go to Sochi...I mean it took over Science world! It is the next host!! It's got to be awesome! yeah no. 2+ hour waits to enter into a corporate showcase with overpriced food and gear. PASS! You only get to do the cool things like Vodka tastings if you are a VIP...you need special accrediation to even get into Sochi house...and their hours are only 12-5!!!! WHAT?! with the huge line ups you would THINK they would open up and let people see how bad they are at hockey....I mean about Russia...but no..not to mention..ICE cold hosts.....Good luck in Sochi...glad I'm not there.

Surrey Celebration Zone:
Sounds neat...but in Surrey..pass.

Ukraine House:
couldn't find out any info about where this was...so didn't go

Vancouver City Hall:
pretty..dont' see why this would be an attraction though..an old flag and a bunch of lights on the outside...come one come all?


Vectorial Elevation:
The inital bane of my existance. Bright lights shining outside my house all month...but they turned down the bright and it sometimes looked really nice...still question the waste of power though...

West House:
what the HELL is this thing....it's a teeny tiny house...claiming to be a demo for the environmentally friendly houses....it's thisbig...and has space for your smart car....and is powered by the owner's sense of self-satisfaction....lame.

WinterFest at Lonsdale:
Should have gone...but the boats were so busy


Well that about wraps it up...I left some out...like North Van and PoCo ones...b/c...well that's just silly...TOO FAR....but maybe good for the people out there.

I will really miss the Olympics when they are gone. There has been an energy in the city this past month and I'm gonna miss it...and my dad...and my free busses lol. GO CANADA!!! GOLD in HOCKEY! let's do it!!

1 comment:

  1. Ukraine house apparently was amazing. I really wanted to go but it was out of the immediate downtown area so I didn't have time. Apparently the food was amazeballs. Which I don't doubt. Us Ukrainians make good food!

    ReplyDelete