Tuesday, July 27, 2010

July books

Well, I foretold in my last entry that I had a slew of books to get through and get through them I did...with a couple more additions. I just LOVE reading in the summer...I find in the winter I prefer to knit more because it's warm and there isn't too much to do when it's POURING rain...but in the summer I like to get out and enjoy the sun and such and it's too hot to work with yarn. HENCE my rediscovered love of the library. Free books!! And it only takes me a couple of days to read them!!



First up.




Eh....I really like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies....so I was excited at the prospect of another version of an oldie I would never have read...this book does that...but it's SO fantastical that I have no idea HOW the original plotline would go...With P&P&Z most of the setting and events were the same...in this book there is no WAY any of it was the same...so what was it actually...I think a lot of the book is lost in the fantastical-ness of it...while the original work was more preserved with P&P&Z...

Next!







This book I REALLY liked. It really has nothing to do with Pride and Prejudice, other than the main characters and locations. It's a prologue to the P&P and Zombies work. Otherwise it really doesn't have the boring-o old timey speak as the original Austen did...it TRIES to...but doesn't succeed and I like that. The story was SUPER interesting and I think this was because it didn't have to follow to the storyline as it's predecessor...it knows where the plot has to end up and has the freedom to get there how it sees fit....surprisingly suspenseful for a prequel. I do recommend!!!

Next




Boo. Do not recommend....this is written by the same man who co-authored Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which we all know I was a fan of. But this book...just didn't have a point...it basically took the life story of Abaraham Lincoln and explained that all his decisions were made because his life destiny was to hunt vampires....obviously this isn't true...but the book is just so hard to even pretend it is....It's just not good.... don't bother people I tell you!




I followed this up with



I had been waiting a very long time to read this book. Since the event occurred I have always had a
fascination with the Columbine Massacre (even going as far as to play Super Columbine Massacre RPG! ) ...not to the extent where I'm studying it in order to learn HOW to do it...that's just silly....but the idea that two kids that were not much older than myself in 1999 were able to plan and execute such an event...it just boggles my mind....Getting up and taking a gun to school is one thing....but planning an event for over a year involving decoys, several pipebombs and at least seven propane tank bombs...that is quite a different thing...these kids wanted people to die... A LOT of people....Had the propane tanks bombs actually worked the death toll might have been as high as 500 people....FIVE HUNDRED PEOPLE....Two 18 year old kids could have killed at least 500 people....why? Why why why why why....that's where my fascination lies...Sure everyone wants to know that...and some of the best forensic and psychological minds are all over that...which is why I like this book. This man compiled all the information he could get access to..including information on the Basement Tapes and the boys' journals...evidence that was never released to the public (waaaaaay too disturbing). This book was amazing for getting down into the events as they occurred. The years leading up...the weeks and years after...Anyone wanting to know more about this event should definitely pick up this book.


Lastly, I spent the last two days reading this






For those who don't know, I love Michael Jackson....Like LOVE...not just oh he's a great singer, I like his tunes. No, not even close. I grew up on Micheal's music..long before I have memories of life I have memories of MJ...My favourite movie of all time is Moonwalker....I could watch that movie a million times and never get sick of it....His death was incredibly hard...more so on my sister...who loves him more that's for sure....but still...it's unfathomable to think that this man...possibly the most amazing man to ever live...just died last year...up and died forever....He was beyond amazing....some people won't look past the headlines to understand who he was...this book gives insight into that. It came out in 1988...so I was four...but I know the songs and albums and events he's referencing. This book is a look into his world....one that he kept so guarded..and for good reason. Reading this book gives you insight into a man that was bigger than anyone on this planet has ever been. After reading this book you know that all the tabloids and headlines are lies...and this man could never have been capable of anything the tabloids claimed...and still claim....He was a beautiful, gentle soul...and the world will never seen another like him again.


I've just started What's So Amazing About Grace? a book by Phillip Yancey....I have several of his books already and they always open my eyes...and grace is something I REALLY lack....in every aspect...so I'm hoping this book can shed some light on that for me.


My garden is NOT doing well at all...no new tomatoes since that one...and the strawberry plant seems to not be able to recover from the wind storm :( very sad indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment