Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I love winter

Why you ask?

Well for one I live in an area of Canada that doesn't get much snow. Having grown up in Ontario, I had to wear a jacket over my Halloween costume because that was the first snow of the season. However, in Vancouver, it tends to snow for one week all year. Which is absolutely perfect to me!

2 cm of snow is enough for playing. It's all we get.


Why I love Vancouver Winter:
1. I love the sound of snow crunching under my feet
2. I get to wear my comfy WARM snow boots...Can't wear them in the rain!
3. I have the clothing for the cold. It goes so unused, so I'm happy when I get to bust it out
4. It's actually not that cold. For Vancouver it is, but for me in my life it's not. It's refreshing
5. It's pretty!!!!!
6. Daisy LOVES it, and who doesn't love watching their dog jump all over snow?

Why I don't like Vancouver Winter:
1. No one else knows how to deal with it. They have only rain boots, or (and this drives me into insanity laughter..yes, I'm laughing AT you) they have umbrellas while it's snowing. IT'S SNOW.

2. They can't drive in it. The minute the snow hits the pavement you get this.



And it really doesn't snow more than 2 cm. However, the city has two plows... I think. I've honestly never seen them, and the salt trucks are just pick up trucks with little sprayers on the back (and I've only ever seen 1). The city just isn't made to be able to handle snow and ice, The side streets never get plowed, so the snow just gets compacts and turns into SUPER slippery snow/ice. Awesome.

3. People still bike in it. Now we all know I'm a cyclist, and I'll go out in about anything, but the minute the temperature is below zero FORGET IT. In a city where it rains every other day and the ground doesn't have time to dry, I'd rather not have my face skid along the pavement when my wee ol bike meets Mr. Black Ice. It seems other people in this city don't know what black ice is, so they are out biking at full speed like Joe Invincible, until they fall...and I just shake my head.

"So that's what a moron looks like!"

Now don't get me wrong, this isn't enough to make me want to move back to Ontario. FORget it. My last year there in one day we got 50 cm... IN ONE DAY. It stayed until May. The snow here? It will be gone in two days.

Back to normal :(

Luckily, I can just take a trip up the mountains any time and frolic in the fluffy stuff until I'm sick of it again!


No comments:

Post a Comment